ISVA Service – Supporting and Reporting
ISVAs (Independent Sexual Violence Advisors) are here to provide independent practical support and assistance to people in Warwickshire who have experienced sexual violence or abuse and who are either considering reporting to the police or have already done so. They make sure you have the best possible advice, information, access to services and support that you need and can act as an advocate for you when dealing with other agencies such as the police.
Our ISVA service and how it can help you
Your ISVA will be approachable and empathetic and listen to you without judgement. They will give you advice and information and let you make decisions that are right for you with no pressure. They are completely independent of the police and criminal justice system.
Our ISVA says:
“For many people who have had crimes perpetrated against them, they are unsure about where to turn and can feel overwhelmed. They may feel that they ought to talk to the police about what has happened to them but this can be hard. For example, sometimes the person that hurt them is a family member; sometimes a person thinks that they will be blamed or judged. Talking to an ISVA is a way of talking through different options, knowing that whatever action they choose, it will be their decision without any coercion and that there will be ongoing support from Safeline.”
Your ISVA can:
- Give you support if you want to report rape or sexual abuse to the police – you might want them to come with you when giving a statement.
- Report the rape or sexual abuse anonymously on your behalf if you do not want to go to the police.
- Provide information and support – the ISVA will keep you up to date with information about your case and can be by your side during court hearings.
- Provide emotional and practical support – they will be in touch with you regularly to support you and make sure you get access to the other services you need at Safeline and beyond.
- Act as an advocate for you – they can talk to an employer or teacher or support you with housing and benefits.
Using the ISVA service
To access the Safeline Warwickshire ISVA service please contact 01926 402498 or email email@example.com
You can also use our new ISVA Referral App which has been developed to enable professional agencies, individuals and friends or family to use to refer immediately to Safeline. Scan the QR code below to download the App or read about it here
An ISVA client said:
“I did not imagine that there was someone out there for me, who was able to be there for me from the moment I reported what happened till beyond the end of the trial. She kept me going and understood me in a different way from my counsellor. And she was with me all the way.”